Although buses and trains do the same thing, the way they work is different, just as the WiFi repeater and the WiFi extender do the same thing, but their type of work turns them into different devices. Many people ask which WiFi repeater or extender to buy, but many of them do not know that these two completely different devices, their applications are also different. So let’s discuss it!
- IPTV-How does IP TV or Internet TV work?
- What is ISP? What is the job of an internet service provider?
- Unlimited Internet: Is Unlimited Internet Really Possible?
- What is a network port? Details about Internet infrastructure
- What is DNS and why is it needed? What is the importance of DNS on the Internet?
- DNA data storage-The future of the Internet
WiFi Repeater Vs WiFi Extender
If the signal from your main router does not reach any corner of your house or the signal quality is very poor then these two devices called WiFi repeater or WiFi extender are needed. Both devices work to increase the range of your network, but in different styles.
First of all let’s talk about WiFi repeater, WiFi repeater basically receives wireless signal from your router then repeats that signal and brings more area wifi coverage. The WiFi repeater has to be installed right where your router’s signal starts to weaken, from where the repeater helps to send the signal to more areas.
WiFi Extender, on the other hand, connects to your network via cable and then spreads the signal to a different area of your home. So the purpose of the two devices is the same, but the way they work is different!
What is a WiFi repeater?
A WiFi repeater is also called a network repeater. This device connects to your router using its own built-in WiFi technology and extends the signal. These devices are quite cheap and easy to install. It can be as small as a router or a USB pen drive.
You only need to install the WiFi repeater where your WiFi signal is starting to weaken. It can be fitted to ordinary wall sockets. Many older routers also have WiFi repeater features, so if you buy a new router you can use it as a WiFi repeater without throwing away the old router!
Let’s find out, how to use it:
- Plug the WiFi repeater device into the wall socket where your router’s signal is weak.
- Now connect the WiFi repeater to your laptop or mobile, then sign in the repeater with the main WiFi signal!
- Now the repeater will take the connection from your original wifi signal then create another access point of your own with which you can get good signal quality and internet speed, but this repeater will be completely dependent on the main router!
WiFi repeater does not require any cable connection. It’s a much cheaper device than the WiFi Extender, and can be easily set up. However, it is better not to install repeaters too close to devices that generate microwave or radio signals, as this can distort the signal!
What is WiFi Extender?
WiFi extender is also used to extend the signal of your home network. But it works in a different style from the repeater. How? Let’s take a look below.
- It has to be connected to your home network first
- It extends to your existing network, where the repeater creates completely different access points
- WiFi Extender has no limit on internet bandwidth speeds
- It is also very easy to setup and configure
Maybe in any room of your house the network is completely dead, you are not getting a single drop of wireless signal, in that case it may be best to use a WiFi extender. Since it is directly connected to the home network via cable, there is no difference in internet speed. But the WiFi repeater creates a completely different network, you have to connect to that new network, in which case the speed can be reduced by up to 50% compared to the original router!
There are two more common terms to hear when buying a WiFi repeater or WiFi extender in the market; WiFi booster or WiFi amplifier; These two terms also mean WiFi repeater and WiFi extender. If a device just repeats the signal from WiFi, you will understand it as a repeater, and if a device is connected to the home network via cable, you will understand it as an extender, now whatever the name is!